- Harleys on tour for another year
- Regions monitor remnants of Cylone Gita
- Fraud victims to contact police
- Thunderstorms loom over Bay of Plenty
- Rethinking trade waste
- Toxic slugs suspected in dog deaths
- A dozen Kaiaua houses uninhabitable
- Prepping for tonight’s high tide
- Evacuations and road closures
- Serious crash in Coromandel
- Sister’s plea: help find my brother
- Waihi high hazard zone ground movement
- Civil Defence issues tsunami warning
- Red Fox cold case re-opens
- Four dead, two injured in Waikato crash
Battle of Passchendaele competition open
Posted at 6:01pm Thursday 20 Apr, 2017
The 2017 Battle of Passchendaele multi-media competition is now open for submissions.
On October 12, 1917, 845 New Zealanders died at Bellevue Spur, part of the Passchendaele campaign of the First World War.
A further 2700 were wounded, making it the single bloodiest day in our nation’s history.
The annual competition, open to all Year 13 students, asks students to explore what that significant day means to them though the medium of their choice.
Veterans’ Affairs Minister David Bennett says it is one of the bleakest days in the country’s history.
“It’s important we continue to reflect on the sacrifice made in the fields of Belgium 100 years ago. One way to continue the legacy is through today’s youth. I look forward to seeing students sharing their stories and experiences of remembering New Zealand’s service in war and conflict.”
The winning Year 13 student will receive a $2000 education contribution and, along with the runner up, will travel to Belgium to attend the Battle of Passchendaele centenary commemorations in October 2017.
This year there is also a special Year 12 ‘speech writing’ category marking the centenary of Passchendaele. The winner of the Year 12 category will represent New Zealand youth, and read their winning entry at the national commemorative ceremony at Pukeahu National War Memorial Park in Wellington.
Entries close Friday May 12.
For more information, visit www.veteransaffairs.mil.nz/multimediacompetition