- Four dead, two injured in Waikato crash
- Serious crash closes Thames highway
- ATM masquerades as phone box
- Celebrating Hauraki-Coromandel business
- A $178M boost for tourism infrastructure
- Natzke ready to set Europe ablaze
- New structure proposed for IRD
- $60 million more for Pharmac
- Chiefs dominate in home game
- Duck season starts with a bang
- Barbara's hooked on Dr Hook
- Hammerhead shark found on Papamoa Beach
- Big tick for fisheries management
- Chloe conquers her mountain challenge
- Ruben the Road Safety Bear's new book
Man charged over Rotorua incidents
Posted at 1:09pm Saturday 06 May, 2017
A man charged over the theft of a vehicle which had a child inside is appearing in the Rotorua district Court today.
A spokesperson says Rotorua Police arrested and charged the 30-year-old man in connection with the theft of the vehicle, as well as a robbery in Rotorua Central Mall, on Friday.
“On April 18, a woman was forced to the ground and robbed in front of her children after withdrawing cash from an ATM in the Rotorua Central Mall.
“[Then] on April 24, a car with a two-year-old child inside was stolen from outside a dairy on the corner of Pererika Street and Old Taupo Road.”
The car was later found by police with the child still in the vehicle, safe and well.
The man has been charged with robbery in connection with the first incident, and with unlawfully taking a motor vehicle and abandonment of a child under six in relation to the second incident.
The man has been held in police custody prior to his appearance in the Rotorua District Court today.