- Four dead, two injured in Waikato crash
- Serious crash closes Thames highway
- ATM masquerades as phone box
- Celebrating Hauraki-Coromandel business
- A $178M boost for tourism infrastructure
- Natzke ready to set Europe ablaze
- New structure proposed for IRD
- $60 million more for Pharmac
- Chiefs dominate in home game
- Duck season starts with a bang
- Barbara's hooked on Dr Hook
- Hammerhead shark found on Papamoa Beach
- Big tick for fisheries management
- Chloe conquers her mountain challenge
- Ruben the Road Safety Bear's new book
Fatal motorcycle crash in the Bay
Posted at 6:42am Wednesday 17 May, 2017
Police are appealing for witnesses following a fatal motorcycle crash in the Bay of Plenty.
Emergency services were called to a crash between a ute and motorbike on Galatea Road, near the Matahina Dam in the Eastern Bay, around 4pm.
The driver of the motorcycle died at the scene.
"Police are currently in the process of notifying next of kin. The road was closed following the crash and diversions were put in place for a few hours," says a police spokesperson.
The road was reopened just before 7.30pm last night.
"The Serious Crash Unit are currently conducting inquiries into the circumstances surrounding the crash."
Anyone with information about the crash is asked to contact Whakatane Police Station on 07 308 5255.
Alternatively, information can be left anonymously via the Crimestoppers 0800 555 111 line.