- Truck and car crash near Ngatea
- Mining company presents to council
- Harleys on tour for another year
- Regions monitor remnants of Cylone Gita
- Fraud victims to contact police
- Thunderstorms loom over Bay of Plenty
- Rethinking trade waste
- Toxic slugs suspected in dog deaths
- A dozen Kaiaua houses uninhabitable
- Prepping for tonight’s high tide
- Evacuations and road closures
- Serious crash in Coromandel
- Sister’s plea: help find my brother
- Waihi high hazard zone ground movement
- Civil Defence issues tsunami warning
Fatal motorcycle crash in the Bay
Posted at 6:42am Wednesday 17 May, 2017
Police are appealing for witnesses following a fatal motorcycle crash in the Bay of Plenty.
Emergency services were called to a crash between a ute and motorbike on Galatea Road, near the Matahina Dam in the Eastern Bay, around 4pm.
The driver of the motorcycle died at the scene.
"Police are currently in the process of notifying next of kin. The road was closed following the crash and diversions were put in place for a few hours," says a police spokesperson.
The road was reopened just before 7.30pm last night.
"The Serious Crash Unit are currently conducting inquiries into the circumstances surrounding the crash."
Anyone with information about the crash is asked to contact Whakatane Police Station on 07 308 5255.
Alternatively, information can be left anonymously via the Crimestoppers 0800 555 111 line.