- Regions monitor remnants of Cylone Gita
- Fraud victims to contact police
- Thunderstorms loom over Bay of Plenty
- Rethinking trade waste
- Toxic slugs suspected in dog deaths
- A dozen Kaiaua houses uninhabitable
- Prepping for tonight’s high tide
- Evacuations and road closures
- Serious crash in Coromandel
- Sister’s plea: help find my brother
- Waihi high hazard zone ground movement
- Civil Defence issues tsunami warning
- Red Fox cold case re-opens
- Four dead, two injured in Waikato crash
- Serious crash closes Thames highway
Tauranga man dies in Polish mountains
Posted at 6:49am Wednesday 17 May, 2017
The New Zealander who died in the Polish mountains last week has been identified.
He was 23-year-old Tauranga man Elliot Buckley, who died while hiking in the Tatra Mountains.
Elliot’s parents, Ken and Colleen Buckley, are currently travelling to Poland with his with his brother, Isaac, to bring him home.
His body was found by tourists in an area known as Green Pond, in the Gasienicowa Valley.
It is understood Elliot began his hike in the national park on May 10th, before his body was found above the snowline on the morning of May 11th.
According to Polish news website Fakt24, rescuers admitted he almost certainly died as a result of injuries sustained following a fall.
The New Zealand Consulate and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs are currently assisting the Buckley family.
Post a CommentYou must be logged in to make a comment.
- Woman murdered in Opotiki
- Blair’s back in a smiley place
- Drifting action heats up at Baypark
- Victim:paedophile's sentence not enough
- Strong winds forecast as Gita hits NZ
- Community speaks out on traffic bylaw
- Gita bearing down on New Zealand
- Danni is the Bay’s top young grower
- Opotiki homicide: murder charge laid
- Happy Chinese New Year
- Opotiki murder accused appears in court
- Poll on Maori wards in Whakatane
- Birth rate down to record low
- Youth smoking is at an all-time low
- Pokies causing growing harm - Sallies
- Speed camera on the way for Pukehina
- Last chance to vote on water bottling
- Parts of Desert Road to close
- Tanker losing head over ‘botched’ bridge
- Cracking down on drugged drivers
- Fourteen-year-old charged with robbery
- Crayfish fishing ban wanted in BOP
- No weed campaigning at One Love
- Council hunting dangerous dogs
- Compensation over sulphuric fuel