- Red Fox cold case re-opens
- Four dead, two injured in Waikato crash
- Serious crash closes Thames highway
- ATM masquerades as phone box
- Celebrating Hauraki-Coromandel business
- A $178M boost for tourism infrastructure
- Natzke ready to set Europe ablaze
- New structure proposed for IRD
- $60 million more for Pharmac
- Chiefs dominate in home game
- Duck season starts with a bang
- Barbara's hooked on Dr Hook
- Hammerhead shark found on Papamoa Beach
- Big tick for fisheries management
- Chloe conquers her mountain challenge
Man arrested in Te Kaha homicide case
Posted at 11:00am Wednesday 17 May, 2017
A man has been arrested and charged with being an accessory after the fact of murder, in relation to the death of Don Henry Turei Junior.
Don was killed in a crash on State Highway 35, opposite the Raukokere Marae, near Te Kaha, on November 26, 2016.
“In the days following the crash Police upgraded the investigation to a homicide investigation,” says Detective Inspector Lew Warner, Bay of Plenty Field Crime Manager.
“Yesterday afternoon Police arrested a 33-year-old Te Kaha man in Wairoa.”
He is due to appear in Gisborne District Court today.
“Police enquiries into the homicide are continuing and the investigation team is making good progress, as demonstrated by this arrest.”
“We believe Mr Turei was purposefully hit by a white Honda Odyssey-type van, which immediately left the scene of the crash.”