- Sister’s plea: help find my brother
- Waihi high hazard zone ground movement
- Civil Defence issues tsunami warning
- Red Fox cold case re-opens
- Four dead, two injured in Waikato crash
- Serious crash closes Thames highway
- ATM masquerades as phone box
- Celebrating Hauraki-Coromandel business
- A $178M boost for tourism infrastructure
- Natzke ready to set Europe ablaze
- New structure proposed for IRD
- $60 million more for Pharmac
- Chiefs dominate in home game
- Duck season starts with a bang
- Barbara's hooked on Dr Hook
Image released to help identify remains
Posted at 1:17pm Saturday 15 Jul, 2017
Police have turned to social media in the hopes of identifying remains found in remote bushland in southern Tasmania.
On Sunday, July 9, the remains were located in an area of remote bushland in the Huon Valley.
They were un-covered near a make-shift shelter and there were no sleeping items to indicate the person was prepared for an overnight stay.
A backpack located with the deceased person contained several items including male clothing, an SD card, a quantity of Swiss Francs and Hong Kong Dollars and a receipt for purchase in Switzerland dated December 2010.
Tasmania Police have released a photograph extracted from the SD Card.
“Among the images forensically extracted from the SD Card is a photo of a man standing in front of the foreshore which is possibly the deceased person,” says Detective Acting Sergeant Michael Manning.
“Forensic details indicate the photo may have been taken in 2010.
“At this stage the identity of the deceased person remains unknown and we urge anyone who can assist police to identify this man to contact us.”
Other policing jurisdictions in Australia and New Zealand are asked to share this image.
The cause of death remains undetermined and a full forensic examination continues which is anticipated to take some time.
Anyone with information can contact Tasmania Police by calling 131 444 from within Tasmania, 1800 765 827 from interstate, or +613 6230 2111 from interstate.
A report is being prepared for the coroner.