- Civil Defence issues tsunami warning
- Red Fox cold case re-opens
- Four dead, two injured in Waikato crash
- Serious crash closes Thames highway
- ATM masquerades as phone box
- Celebrating Hauraki-Coromandel business
- A $178M boost for tourism infrastructure
- Natzke ready to set Europe ablaze
- New structure proposed for IRD
- $60 million more for Pharmac
- Chiefs dominate in home game
- Duck season starts with a bang
- Barbara's hooked on Dr Hook
- Hammerhead shark found on Papamoa Beach
- Big tick for fisheries management
Woman sentenced for racist outburst
Posted at 7:16am Wednesday 26 Jul, 2017
A woman who was drunk and racially abused a Muslim woman in Huntly earlier this year has been sentenced to 12 months’ supervision.
Megan Walton, a 27-year-old from Auckland, had previously pleaded guilty to two charges of assault and one charge of insulting behaviour.
She was sentenced in Palmerston North District Court yesterday.
Police said in February Walton came out of the public toilets in Huntly and started racially abusing Muslim New Zealander Mehpara Khan, before throwing cans of alcohol at her, and attempting to punch her twice.
The court heard Walton was so intoxicated, she did not remember the incident.
The charges were laid after Ms Khan uploaded a video of the attack to social media.