- Civil Defence issues tsunami warning
- Red Fox cold case re-opens
- Four dead, two injured in Waikato crash
- Serious crash closes Thames highway
- ATM masquerades as phone box
- Celebrating Hauraki-Coromandel business
- A $178M boost for tourism infrastructure
- Natzke ready to set Europe ablaze
- New structure proposed for IRD
- $60 million more for Pharmac
- Chiefs dominate in home game
- Duck season starts with a bang
- Barbara's hooked on Dr Hook
- Hammerhead shark found on Papamoa Beach
- Big tick for fisheries management
Search for missing men enters ninth day
Posted at 2:45pm Monday 21 Aug, 2017
The police-coordinated search for two men missing in Tongariro National Park continues, with a police dog trained in search and rescue techniques rejoining the operation.
The search has now entered its ninth day, with volunteers from LandSAR and police scouring an area between Tree Trunk Gorge Road and the Pillars of Hercules.
Senior Sergeant Tony Jeurissen says the search area is thick with bush.
“We want to ensure we cover every piece of ground to locate any evidence which would assist us in finding the pair.
“We are grateful to the Police National Dive Squad, which completed its search of waterways yesterday.”
He says the weather today is in favour of the operation team, with conditions very clear.
“As we have said previously, we are determined to bring these men back to their whanau, many of whom are staying in nearby Turangi.
“We have a number of police iwi liaison officers supporting the families and ensuring they are updated on the progress of the search.”
Post a CommentYou must be logged in to make a comment.
- Bay men admit stealing wood
- Police monitor gangs in Whakatane
- Bank upgrade affecting customers
- Suspected Norovirus Outbreak in Bay
- Bay skipper fined over waka capsize
- Decision reserved on tyre dumpers
- Farmers rally in Morrinsville
- Robotics comp first of its kind for Bay
- Easter trading proposed in Whakatane
- Police launch te reo based car
- TEL speed limit to increase to 110km/h
- Child hit by car after stepping off bus
- NZ suicides continue to increase
- How did the ducklings cross the road
- Locals oppose Otakiri water bottling
- Tourists spending $1.8b in the Bay
- Demolition for historic building
- National to extend paid parental leave
- 18 motorcyclists killed on Bay roads