- Civil Defence issues tsunami warning
- Red Fox cold case re-opens
- Four dead, two injured in Waikato crash
- Serious crash closes Thames highway
- ATM masquerades as phone box
- Celebrating Hauraki-Coromandel business
- A $178M boost for tourism infrastructure
- Natzke ready to set Europe ablaze
- New structure proposed for IRD
- $60 million more for Pharmac
- Chiefs dominate in home game
- Duck season starts with a bang
- Barbara's hooked on Dr Hook
- Hammerhead shark found on Papamoa Beach
- Big tick for fisheries management
Gisborne man dies in fleeing vehicle
Posted at 5:43pm Monday 11 Sep, 2017
A 22-year-old Gisborne man was killed in a crash in Frasertown, Wairoa just after 7.30pm last night in a vehicle that was fleeing a police pursuit.
Another man was flown to Hawke’s Bay Hospital in a critical condition and is now stable. Two other men were taken to Wairoa Hospital for treatment and have since been discharged.
Minutes earlier police saw the vehicle speeding and signalled the driver to pull over. The driver failed to stop and fled from Police, says Tairawhiti area commander Inspector Sam Aberahama.
The police officer abandoned the pursuit at 7.30pm, as he no longer had sight of the fleeing vehicle.
Police received a report that a vehjicle had crashed on Awamata Road at 7.38pm. It was the same vehicle, that fled police just minutes earlier, says Inspector Aberahama.
A Serious Crash Unit investigation is underway to establish the full circumstances of the crash.The pursuit has been referred to the IPCA.