- Civil Defence issues tsunami warning
- Red Fox cold case re-opens
- Four dead, two injured in Waikato crash
- Serious crash closes Thames highway
- ATM masquerades as phone box
- Celebrating Hauraki-Coromandel business
- A $178M boost for tourism infrastructure
- Natzke ready to set Europe ablaze
- New structure proposed for IRD
- $60 million more for Pharmac
- Chiefs dominate in home game
- Duck season starts with a bang
- Barbara's hooked on Dr Hook
- Hammerhead shark found on Papamoa Beach
- Big tick for fisheries management
Police monitor gangs in Whakatane
Posted at 4:37pm Monday 18 Sep, 2017 | By Sam Gardner firstname.lastname@example.org
Police have been closely monitoring areas of Whakatane today after reports were received about heavy Black Power presence in the CBD.
A Police media spokesperson says that a number of sightings of gang members, believed to be of the Wellington chapter of the Black Power, were reported to Police today.
“At about 3pm today Police received reports about gang members on the Strand in Whakatane acting in an intimidating way,” says a Police media spokesperson.
“They were all moved on and Police were set up in mobile areas to move them on.”
Earlier in the day, Police also carried out various foot patrols after receiving a number of calls from concerned members in public, says Police.
“A traffic offense was also reported to have occurred on Commerce St near Countdown supermarket.”
“A vehicle was impounded and towed.”
No further details are available at this stage.