- Civil Defence issues tsunami warning
- Red Fox cold case re-opens
- Four dead, two injured in Waikato crash
- Serious crash closes Thames highway
- ATM masquerades as phone box
- Celebrating Hauraki-Coromandel business
- A $178M boost for tourism infrastructure
- Natzke ready to set Europe ablaze
- New structure proposed for IRD
- $60 million more for Pharmac
- Chiefs dominate in home game
- Duck season starts with a bang
- Barbara's hooked on Dr Hook
- Hammerhead shark found on Papamoa Beach
- Big tick for fisheries management
Whale brought in on ship's bow
Posted at 6:48am Thursday 05 Oct, 2017
A whale has been brought into Tauranga Harbour on the bow of a ship.
The ship arrived at the Port of Tauranga at around 11.30am yesterday, with the whale hanging off the bow.
The whale is believed to be dead.
Department of Conservation staff it was a Bryde’s whale and about 12m long.
DOC Tauranga Rotorua area operations manager Jeff Milham says it’s a big whale.
DOC and port staff and tangata whenua had been at the scene during the afternoon to work out what to do with the whale.
The last Jeff heard the plan was to remove the animal from the bow of the ship, then secure it somewhere for the night.
A decision on what to do next would be made today.
-Additional reporting from Stuff.co.nz