Sorry, your browser is too old to view this website.

Click Here To See How To Update or

Visit our basic site

Tuesday, March 20, 2018

SunLive - The Bay's news first
Home >> Local News >>

Shot-at chopper owner angry

Posted at 8:39am Wednesday 08 Nov, 2017 | By Sally Murphy

A helicopter owner is frustrated police are yet to lay charges seven months after he says his helicopter was shot at from a Bay of Plenty forest.

Central Helicopters was dropping off a father and son into the Whirinaki Forest Park in April.

Just after it landed, company owner Phil Janssen says it was shot at numerous times.

He says the shooters were found shortly after, but police did not confiscate their guns and have still not laid any charges.

"They landed and hopped out and just before the helicopter was going to take off they could hear the gun fire and bullets started hitting the ground about a metre from their feet."

He says those on board were shocked and had thought they were going to die.

"They rushed back and we called police, I told them exactly where it happened and how they could get in there.

"About three hours later ... the police turned up at our hanger, and they had these two characters with them and they were trying to say that they were shooting at a deer.

"By the sounds of things the police didn’t believe our story."

Police went back to the forest the next day to get the bullets out of the ground, he says.

"I said to them ’well you’ve got the guns too obviously’ and they said no they didn’t.

"I started to get a bit pissed off with them. Basically they’d just let these two guys who shot at people go and didn’t take their guns off them."

Phil says police only got the guns from the hunters a few weeks ago - seven months after the shooting.

He says there is no way the men could not have known the helicopter was there, as it had just landed.

He was frustrated at the lack of action from the police.

Police declined to be interviewed, but said in a statement a thorough investigation was under way.

They said a firearm had been seized for forensic examination and they have spoken to a number of people.



Posted on 08-11-2017 16:06 | By Capt_Kaveman

there is more to this story
what happened to the

Posted on 08-11-2017 12:27 | By SML

AND what’s behind the target" Gun Safety Rules?? Seems a clear violation - how could shooters NOT be aware of a HELICOPTER (amongst the noisiest of vehicles!) landing??? Police need to have some answers on this or people could be killed!

Posted on 08-11-2017 08:48 | By overit

Good grief, sounds very mickey mouse and I would be p*****d off too. Come on NZ Police you usually do a great job.

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to make a comment.


Rotorua lake, Mokoia island and a manned canoe.  Photo: Thirza Fleeson.

Send us your photos from around the Bay of Plenty.