Sorry, your browser is too old to view this website.

Click Here To See How To Update or

Visit our basic site

Wednesday, April 25, 2018

SunLive - The Bay's news first
Home >> Local News >>

Car park rage warning

Posted at 7:15am Monday 18 Dec, 2017

Insurer Youi is warning Christmas shoppers of carpark rage as the Christmas shopping frenzy heats up.

“Car parks are notorious places for collisions,” says Youi CEO Frank Costigan.

“Our research shows one-in-five or 20 per cent of all motor insurance claims occur while cars are parked, with an average cost of each claim over $1800. 

 “As shopping centre car parks across the nation become increasingly busy and congested with many making the year-end dash to the store, it’s likely there will be increased numbers of collisions as drivers look for that elusive parking space.”

Other information gleaned from car park collisions is that one third of the culprits fail to leave their details.

“Unfortunately, many drivers returning to their cars often find it damaged and the offender has not left their contact details,” says Frank.

He urges motorists to take extra care in car parks and to extend courtesy to all other drivers during the busiest shopping period of the year.

“Unfamiliar car parks can be difficult places to safely navigate and when combined with large numbers of stressed-out drivers looking for scarce available spaces it’s a perfect scenario for an increased number of collisions,” says Frank.

“The intense competition for space often means drivers try to squeeze into tight spots. People trying to get out of their car also often knock their door into other vehicles, with many cars baring the trademark nick on the side.”

“Worse still, manoeuvring in and out of a narrow space can result in a costly crash.”

“Youi is urging motorists to minimise the risk of damage to their cars this Christmas by taking note of our tips to avoid car park collisions,” says Frank.

  •   •  Look at alternative ways of getting to the shopping centre, such as public transport, an Uber, taxi or think about car sharing

  •   •  Do your shopping early or at less busy times

  •   •  Consider online shopping

  •   •  Drive slowly, observe all signs in car parks, and respect reserved parking directions

  •   •  Turn on headlights when entering car parks

  •   •  Look for extra spaces on other floors rather than competing for space on the busiest floor

  •   •  Be mindful of pillars and other obstructions and ensure there is sufficient space between cars

  •   •  Extend courtesy to all other drivers that way the Christmas shopping experience will be lots more enjoyable. 

 


COMMENTS

Wow

Posted on 18-12-2017 14:24 | By maildrop

20% seems high. I know Kiwis are bad drivers and many clearly struggle to avoid stationery objects but still....That said, car park claims are notoriously fraudulent. I suppose it’s what goes with so many crap drivers and uninsured muppets. They just drive off leaving you with a problem. Yee haw
Car park rages

Posted on 18-12-2017 10:40 | By MISS ADVENTURE

So if 20% of claims are for parked cars then that mostly will relate to the lack of parking and the carparking area road rage related to fights over who gets there first. That also means the other 80% are not when parked so a portion wof thise will also be related to the same issue. The consequences of teh bad decisions of TCC for example jsut multiply through the economy and they are a huge handbrake to all as a result.

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to make a comment.

MOST VIEWED THIS WEEK

MOST COMMENTED

BAY TODAY




Jack-o-lantern in the sunrise. Halloween’s come early this year! Photo: Nicholle Roberson.

Send us your photos from around the Bay of Plenty. kendra@thesun.co.nz