- Civil Defence issues tsunami warning
- Red Fox cold case re-opens
- Four dead, two injured in Waikato crash
- Serious crash closes Thames highway
- ATM masquerades as phone box
- Celebrating Hauraki-Coromandel business
- A $178M boost for tourism infrastructure
- Natzke ready to set Europe ablaze
- New structure proposed for IRD
- $60 million more for Pharmac
- Chiefs dominate in home game
- Duck season starts with a bang
- Barbara's hooked on Dr Hook
- Hammerhead shark found on Papamoa Beach
- Big tick for fisheries management
Weather & Tides
Disclaimer: While every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of this information, Port of Tauranga accepts no liability for any loss or damage caused by errors or omissions with respect to this information.
Another week of West and SW winds, which is normal for this time of year, so we went with the flow and headed out toward the Astrolabe initially. Not much sign, and the fishing was steady but quite slow. We decided around Motiti was worth a look, and even though the sign was still a bit scratchy, the fishing was good. Mainly tarakihi, with the odd small kingy.
Sunday was supposed to be similar weatherwise, and it started out ok, but the 15kn forecast was about 20kn shy of predictions, making it pretty well unfishable, so one we can thank the Metservice for. They did up windspeed estimate for the afternoon, but nowcasts aren’t much use. We already knew it was blowing by the time they changed it.
Generally they have been quite accurate, but not with that one.